Part 3 – Exercise 18: Client VisualsPosted: May 30, 2012
This exercise is all about editing an image to its main structural form. We had to choose two illustrations and then draw boxes two and a half times bigger than the chosen illustrations. Using line we then had to create a visual for each illustration….almost like reversing the process of these chosen finished pieces.
The first illustration I chose was from Belle & Boo illustrations
I really like how this has turned out. Its simple and I don’t think I could have edited it or simplified it any more. I removed some of the leaves and the lines on the bark of the tree and I excluded the girls facial features.
The second illustration I chose was Rumpelstiltskin by Anne Anderson
I tried to edit this a bit more as I felt this could be simplified and still show the content.
Above is a simplified visual. I think it still works as it still contains the important content.
I have looked at some other images where thought has been put into the art direction.
The log for pizza hut is very simple. It has no need for any imagery of a hut or pizza. The roof of the hut itself is sitting above the font and suggests to people the the image is a hut. I like the simplicity of this. I can imagine that the visuals that were first produced were so much more complicated than this.
Again a simple image and the image of the chicken shows us that it’s a chicken resteraunt without the need of wording. I think that here art direction was used in the original visuals to simplify both imagery and colour. When I look at it I feel that perhaps the client added the bushy leaves at the ends of the font.
I really enjoyed this exercise and I have learnt so much from it. I had never thought about looking at an illustration and then trying to break it down to its original structure. I will be really useful for when I come to drawing up my own visuals. I have learnt that a simple uncomplicated visual works best as long as it includes all the important content.